This is a full-time casual position, based in Tammin, Western Australia.
The Feedlot Operations Assistant role is to assist the operations team in the general day to day operations of a cattle feedlot with a particular focus on pen maintenance.
This role is ideally suited to someone who has experience in construction/project management. The feedlot has several ambitious construction projects to execute over the next 12-24 months and we are wanting to build a team of skilled operations staff. There is a strong level of labouring in this role.
This is a family owned and operated beef cattle grain feeding and grazing business.
The business facility has been upgraded and developed since its inception, having a current built capacity of approximately 7,000 cattle. The business owners also operate a small cropping enterprise, enabling them to produce commodities.
Details of interest around the Farm
There is a total of 32 pens in the main feedlot. All pens are constructed of steel and cable fencing with cattle rail gates. All pens have 3-metre-wide concrete feed aprons and are serviced by at least one large concrete water trough which are sewered away from pens for ease of cleaning. All pens have access to lanes which direct cattle to the induction and working yards.
Animal care is a top priority, whether the cattle are in the feedlot facility, in grazing paddocks or being transported to or from the facility. The induction and processing yards provide the perfect environment for stress free stock handling and enable the teams qualified cattle handlers to safely monitor and treat incoming cattle to ensure cattle health is always maintained.
Main job description
The role of the Feedlot Operations Assistant will report to the Operations Manager.
As Feedlot Operations Assistant, you will be responsible in assisting and partaking in all daily tasks of the Feedlot. These tasks will include but not be limited to:
- Performing day-to-day tasks associated with the daily operation within the Feedlot as directed by the Operations Manager;
- Assisting the operations manager in the maintenance of the feedlot infrastructure;
- Assisting the operations manager in the ongoing development of required feedlot infrastructure
- Operating a variety of machinery as required and directed by the Ops Manager;
- Working with the Operations team in the maintenance of cattle pens with a particular focus on the seasonal cleaning and removal of manure;
- Operating, maintaining and servicing equipment associated with feed-out activities. This includes mobile machinery;
- Undertake repairs and scheduled or general maintenance of plant and equipment; and other duties as may be required from time to time.
- Ensure all fencing is fit for purpose by daily checks.
- Ensuring all electric fencing is functioning on a daily basis.
- Ensure cattle have access to clean water at all times
- Maintenance of lane ways for efficient movement of cattle.
Secondary Role – Feedlot and Farm
The Agribusiness is diverse and offers opportunity to be involved in other business units including farming (Harvest, seeding, Silage, general farm activities), Cattle (assisting cattle team) and feed team (daily feeding of cattle).
Skills you need
As Feedlot Operations Assistant you will have, aspire to gain or be trained in the following qualifications or educational requirements:
- Current driver’s license.
- Experience with agricultural plant and equipment.
- Experienced in general farm construction and engineering.
- Experienced in general farm maintenance and repairs.
- An attention to detail and focus on accuracy
- Positive and energetic persona.
- Ability to work well in a team and autonomously as required.
What are your Rewards
Standard workdays are 7:30AM to 5:00PM with 30-minute morning break (10am) and 30-minute lunch break (1pm).
Due to the nature of the job, the employee may be required to work longer or shorter hours from time to time.
Weekend work is essential, and they work on a roster of approximately 1 in every 3 weekends.
The hourly rate is dependent on experience.
Accommodation may be supplied by the employer. Rent charges may be applied by the employer. The employee will be notified of any rent charges as part of the employment process.
Location: Western Australia
Start Date: Immediate
Job: Feedlot Operations Assistant
Wages: Dependent on experience.
Accommodation: Available on farm
Manual Drivers licence: Essential, own car essential.
Fluent English required.