A growing family farming business, looking for a full-time permanent person to add to their team as a senior farmhand, in Merredin.
Preferred start date February 2024, but some flexibility. A strong history of long term stable employees. Management has a genuine and proven progressive attitude to providing opportunities to learn and grow whilst in their employment.
The skills you bring to the business are fully appreciated and rewarded.
The business crops over 6000ha of wheat, canola, barley, vetch, oats and lupins.
They also have 1,000ha of pasture carrying 1,500 mated merino ewes and 550 dry ewes.
Main job description
The senior farmhand role will be assisting on the farm with all day-to-day operations.
- Predominantly tractor work, spraying, spreading, header etc
- Ability to spend time servicing/repairing machinery and fabrication jobs ( there is currently a new industry leading farmworkshop under construction that will be an absolute dream to work in)
- Interested in supporting further training if the candidate finds it
- Happy to support a visa or bid for permanent residency
Seeding and harvest are large parts of the role, however, other roles will be required throughout the year including:
February – March;
- Spreading lime/gypsum with 8R310 & 2022 Bredal K85XCSE
- Paddock preparations including, rock picking with JCB telehandler and hydraulic rock bucket, fenceline maintenance, levelling banks
- Machinery maintenance, safety and efficiency improvements
May – November;
- Spraying and fertiliser application with boomsprays and spreader
- Chemical inventory management for completed and upcoming jobs
- Post seeding rock picking
- Firebreak control with boomspray and clearing fallen timber
- Sheep lambing during June and shearing in October and December
Skills you need
Applicants will need to be non-smoking and have a driver’s license.
Potential employee’s must be able to learn and adapt to on-the-job training. Be trusted to work as part of a team and unsupervised. Above all take pride and care with tools, machinery and the tasks at hand and ensure they and everyone else carries out their roles safely.
The business have a strong focus on the welfare of their employees and look to create an enjoyable and safe workspace for everyone to operate in.
The team are all encouraged to know and be able to do each other’s roles. This offers an opportunity for team members to up-skill, provides a more cohesive team, refreshes roles through harvest and provides better results for machinery.
What are your Rewards
Remuneration is based on qualifications, experience and performance with weekly pay cycles.
Accommodation including utilities is included, as well as main meals during seeding and harvest.
Accommodation is located on the farm 10 minutes from the regional centre of Merredin. More detail can be provided upon application.
Accommodation has bitumen road frontage at the end of a short driveway with School bus pick up to Merredin. Local schools include 2 primary schools, 1 Government 1 Catholic and 1 high school to Yr 12
Farm Vehicle is available for work purposes.
Working hours – 45 hr Average, minimal weekend work outside seeding and harvest.
The Surrounding Community
Merredin has a population of 3,500.
Town has all major services, including supermarket, 3 banks, post office, cafes and restaurants.
There are also strong sporting clubs and great facilities in the townsite.
Location: Merredin, Western Australia
Start Date: Early 2024
Job: General farm hand
Wages: Flat hourly rate above award.
Hours: Full-time permanent
Driver’s license: required
Fluent English required