This full-time role in an inclusive family-oriented, 100% cropping farm business, operates a strong team-working environment and welcomes the sharing of knowledge and ideas.
The business work towards involving their team in work planning and encourages the team to achieve both workplace and personal goals by supporting the expansion of qualifications, skills and personal work habits.
This role can be an opportunity to work towards a level of management within the current business model.
This is not a job for ’88 Days’ applicants
This Nyabing based, family operated cropping enterprise offers career development opportunities within their team.
Upskilling and training are provided, and they encourage you to expand your skills and knowledge.
Crops include: beans, canola, barley, wheat and oats.
Nyabing has a small grocery store and Woolworths is located in Katanning 60km away. For families, Nyabing Primary School or a bus to Katanning High School provide education options. Albany and the south coast are on 1.5hr away.
Main job description
An idea of general farmhand roles throughout the year may look as follows.
Jan – March: Paddock prep (if doing), machine servicing/maintenance. Fertiliser spreading supporting the contractor.
March – May: Seeding program, spraying, spreading, rock picking with Skid Steer Posi machine.
June – July: Post-emergent spraying, rocks and fertiliser spreading (contractor) post seeding machine clean up and put away.
August – Sept: Complete any farm projects/jobs, spraying fungicides, harvest maintenance begins, sort staff for harvest. Fencing.
Oct: Harvest maintenance, spray fungicide, desiccate crops. Late October start for the canola harvest.
November – December: Harvesting.
Skills you need
- Candidates will have a medium to high level of experience within broad acre farming, with both machines and agronomy.
- Demonstrate a high level of communication on a daily basis, asking questions and planning work.
- Learn to organise yourself with work, post weekly farm meetings, be organised and accountable.
- Able to work 8-12 hour days, longer hours during seeding and harvest.
- Have an HR or MC truck licence or willing to gain a licence.
- Minimum level of mechanical knowledge, basic servicing and noticing machine faults.
- Help promote a safe workplace following the business SWMMS manual.
- Set up and operate a variety of agricultural machines and vehicles
- Drivers license required.
SKILLS & QUALITIES
- Trustworthy, honest and can take ownership of mistakes
- Desire to expand cropping skills & knowledge
- Strong teamwork abilities
- Respectful & effective communication
- Be a self-starter, self-motivated and efficient
What are your Rewards
The package on offer is based on experience and will be discussed with each individual interviewee.
Generous $/hr + Super 10.5%
Mobile phone including bills.
Accommodation, house either on farm or in Nyabing town, including most associated living costs, gas and water. Only electricity to be paid by employee. (See more details below).
Hilux work vehicle, for work use unless discussed and arranged with employer.
A 3 month trial period is mandatory, annual salary reviewed at 3 months and annually at performance management review.
Meals provided during seeding and harvest periods only.
#1 Nyabing town option – Neat 3×1, large yard, quiet street.
#2 Farmhouse option – 20km from Nyabing. 4×1 brick house, neat yard easy to maintain.
#3 Furnished Donga option – Private bathroom and shared kitchen and laundry, located in main work yard at Boongadoo. Electricity costs are covered at this accommodation, rooms and kitchen/laundry are also furnished. A good option for a trial period or casuals to get accustomed to the farm and surroundings.
Location: Western Australia
Start Date: Ready for a September/October start OR Jan/Feb start.
Job: General Farm Hand
Accommodation: Available upon request, three options.
Drivers licence: required
Fluent English required